leading the journey to sustainable excellence: a leadership system model
John R. Latham
The presentation described the findings of the recent Institute CEO study on leading the journey to performance excellence. A leadership system model was presented and discussed including the key leadership behaviors and approaches, culture change, leader characteristics and the forces of change. Several key relationships among the 36 top-level components were identified. These research findings and subsequent leadership model were based on in-depth interviews with 14 Baldrige recipient CEOs. The "inductive" analysis of the participant's stories on their experiences leading the transformation resulted in a leadership system model described in the presentation.
The presentation described the key components of a new leadership system model (LSM) for sustainable transformation. These components are organized into five categories or groups:
- Leadership Behaviors (role model, respect for people, collaboration, communication, accountability, etc.)
- Leadership Approaches (understanding stakeholders, compelling directive, strategy development, etc.)
- Individual Leader Characteristics (purpose, humble - confident, attitudes and motivations, etc.).
- Culture including change, values driven, common values: teamwork, quality, people, customer focus, and trust.
- Forces of Change (tension, resistance, alignment, etc.)
Presentation Slides - Download
Baldrige CEO Attitudes and Motivations: Research Report
Leadership System Design for Sustainable Excellence: CEO Perspectives - BAWB Conference Paper
Building Bridges Between Researchers and Practitioners: A Collaborative Approach to Research in Performance Excellence - Journal Article
The Quest for Excellence XXII - Annual Conference
April 13, 2010